Puritan - 150898

Show full item record


Title: Puritan - 150898
Author: Unknown
Description: Built originally for the Holland & Chicago Line, she was bought by the Graham and Morton Line in 1901 and named the "Puritan." She operated out of Chicago to Benton Harbor, St. Joseph and Holland, Michigan. Taken over in 1918 by the U.S. Navy, she was used as a training ship until Sept. 1919. She was sold to the Chicago, Racine & Milwaukee Line and later to the Michigan Trans. Co. She was overhauled in 1933 by her new owners, the Isle Royale Transportation Co., and renamed the "George M. Cox." On May 27, 1933, on her first trip under her new name - bound from Duluth to Isle Royale - she ran on the Rock of Ages Shoal in Lake Superior and slid to rest in deeper waters after all were taken off safely.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/169825

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
1971.B.13.8.17.1.JPG 363.0Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record