Vigilant - 117070 (C)

Show full item record


Title: Vigilant - 117070 (C)
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Vigilant" was built at Toronto, Ont. in 1904 by Polson Iron Works as an armed revenue and fisheries cruiser and operated for the Minister of Marine & Fisheries. For many years this Canadian D. G. Patrol Boat sailed from one end to the other of Lake Erie in performance of her patrol duty, with uniformed crew and gun mounted to the forward deck. During WWI she was operated under the Ministry of Naval Service. It was bought in 1932 by John Payette of Penetanguishene, Ont. and later was partially burned. The hull was bought in 1938 by R. E. Gibson of Simcoe, Ont. and she was rebuilt into a tow barge where she carried coal out of Port Stanley. From 1944 until she was scrapped in 1956, she operated for the Hindman Trans. Co. in the pulpwood trade.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170033

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2112.B.13.9.33.2.JPG 433.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record