Eastland at South Haven, Michigan

Show full item record


Title: Eastland at South Haven, Michigan
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Eastland" was built in 1903 by Jenks Shipbuilding Company in Port Huron, Michigan. She ran excursions on Lake Michigan until sold in 1907 to the Lake Shore Navigation Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The vessel then ran from Cleveland to Cedar Point at Sandusky, Ohio. By 1915, the "Eastland" was again providing excursions on Lake Michigan. On July 24, 1915, the "Eastland" rolled over at the dock in the Chicago River. Eight hundred twelve passengers lost their lives. The vessel was renamed the "Wilmette" and in 1917 converted for use at Chicago by the U. S. Naval Reserve until 1948.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170355

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2289.b.13.11.30.1.jpg 87.22Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record