Puritan 150898

Show full item record


Title: Puritan 150898
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Puritan" was built in 1901 by the Craig Shipbuilding Company of Toledo, Ohio. She was built of steel and was of 1762 gross tons. She was owned by Graham and Morton Transportation Company of Chicago and placed on the Chicago-Benton Harbor and St. Joseph route. She at times ran to Holland, Michigan. During the First World War, she was taken over by the U. S. Navy and used as a troop transport ship. In September 1919, the "Puritan" was sold to the Chicago, Racine and Milwaukee Line. In 1928, the vessel was owned by the Michigan Transit Company and in 1933 the Isle Royale Transportation Company. She was renamed the "George M. Cox." She was intended to serve the Duluth - Isle Royale route, but on May 27, 1933, while on her maiden voyage, the vessel struck the Rock of Ages at Isle Royale. She sunk in deep water shortly after all on board were removed.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170371

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2306.b.13.11.38.2.jpg 91.41Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record