`Hamilton (Canadian 103337)

Show full item record


Title: `Hamilton (Canadian 103337)
Author: Unknown
Description: The iron side-wheel "Magnet" was first constructed in England in 1846, then dismantled, shipped overseas, and rebuilt by Niagara Drydock Company in 1847 in Hamilton, Ontario. She ran on Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River for a number of years. She became the steamer "Hamilton" in 1895. She was later converted into an oil barge, and then subsidized by the government and used as a gunboat during the Fenian Raid. This picture was taken some time after 1895 when she was rebuilt at Sorel and renamed the "Hamilton." She was cut up for scrap at Wallaceburg in 1927.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170573

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2508.B.13.14.34.2.JPG 227.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record