Cooke Castle

Show full item record


Title: Cooke Castle
Author: Cooke, Reverend Henry
Description: After the purchase of Gibraltar Island in 1864, Jay Cooke asked his brother Pitt Cooke to oversee the construction of his summer home. The fifteen-room structure was constructed from native limestone and encompassed nearly 9,000 square feet. Italianate in design, the retreat featured an octagonal tower and dominant eaves supports. The tower provided a vantage point for scanning the island, its surroundings, and Lake Erie. French doors led to two porches - one on the Lake Erie side and the other on the South Bass Island side. The porches brought Lake Erie's cool breezes directly into the castle.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/1776
Date: 1906

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
610.l79.jpg 2.892Mb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record