Cambria 74297 (Canadian)

Show full item record


Title: Cambria 74297 (Canadian)
Author: Unknown
Description: Originally built as the big sidewheel tug "Champion" at Point Levis, Que. in 1877. She was used during the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway, transporting supplies from Port Arthur to contractors along the north shore of Lake Superior. She was taken to Owen Sound in 1884-5 and made into a passenger steamer and named "Cambria". She was lengthened, cabins added and new engines installed. After the rebuild it was found the cabins were too heavy to keep an extra keel and it was necessary to build on false sides before she would straighten up. She operated for Owen Sound interests with "Carmona" until 1890. She was sold to Port Arthur parties in 1891 and operated from there to Duluth for several seasons. She was sold to George W. Brown who brought her to Windsor in 1895, and operated her from Windsor to the Soo until she wrecked in July, 1897. She struck a log raft during a gale about 10 miles above Point Edward, Ont., Lake Huron, damaging her engines. She drifted ashore, was towed to Detroit for inspection and then permitted to sink in shallow water at Sarnia. She was later bought by Donnelly Wrecking Co. of Kingston and operated a few years. She was dismantled in 1905. This view of the "Cambria" shows her after her wreck by the log raft.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/181570
Date: July 1897

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2599.B.13.15.40.1.JPG 293.9Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record