Aetna 217585

Show full item record


Title: Aetna 217585
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Aetna" was orginally built as the "Coperas" by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin in 1919. She was of 2153 gross tons. Until 1925, she was owned by the U. S. Shipping Board of Washington, D. C. The following year, she was purchased by the Aetna Portland Cement Company of Detroit, Michigan. At that time, she became the "Aetna." When purchased by the Saginaw Dock and Terminal Company of Cleveland, Ohio in 1937, her name was changed to the "Saginaw." During WWII, she was owned by the U. S. Navy. She was variously known as the "Matinicus" (AG-38 and AG-52) and the "Gemini" (AP-75). She served as a transport between Icelandic ports. From 1943 to 1945, she served in the Pacific, stationed at the Marshall and Gilbert Islands. Following the war, she returned to her owners and once again, became known as the "Saginaw." She was purchased by Finnish interests in 1948. She was then known as the "Ramsdal" and finally the "Transdal." She was scrapped at Helsinki, Finland in 1967.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/181686

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2741.FR2.1.13.1.JPG 107.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record