"Marine Star" (248329)

Show full item record


Title: "Marine Star" (248329)
Author: Unknown
Description: The “Marine Star” was built in 1945 by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. of Chester, Pennsylvania. The C3-S-B5 cargo vessel was built under U.S. Maritime Commission during World War II. After the war, the ship was operated by Isthmian Steamship Co., New York, New York (1946), and Seas Shipping Co., New York (1948.) The commission maintained ownership from 1945 until 1953 when ownership transferred to Sand Products Corp. (Michigan-Ohio Navigation Co., Mgrs.) of Detroit, Michigan. She was renamed “Aquarama” in 1955. From 1955 through 1962, the converted passenger vessel transported up to 2,500 passengers and 170 automobiles from Detroit to Cleveland, and excursion trips from Toledo. Sand Products Corp. maintained ownership until 1987. The North Shore Farming Co., Ltd. of Port Stanley, Ontario took ownership in 1987. The Empire Cruise Line, Ltd. of St. Thomas, Ontario took possession; however, a date of ownership transfer was not available.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/185729

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2811.FR2.2.14.1.JPG 82.69Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record