"Marine Star" (248329)

Show simple item record


dc.contributor.author Unknown
dc.coverage.spatial Great Lakes (North America) en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1945-1987 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2012-12-04T18:52:20Z
dc.date.available 2012-12-04T18:52:20Z
dc.date.issued 2012-12-04
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/185729
dc.description The “Marine Star” was built in 1945 by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. of Chester, Pennsylvania. The C3-S-B5 cargo vessel was built under U.S. Maritime Commission during World War II. After the war, the ship was operated by Isthmian Steamship Co., New York, New York (1946), and Seas Shipping Co., New York (1948.) The commission maintained ownership from 1945 until 1953 when ownership transferred to Sand Products Corp. (Michigan-Ohio Navigation Co., Mgrs.) of Detroit, Michigan. She was renamed “Aquarama” in 1955. From 1955 through 1962, the converted passenger vessel transported up to 2,500 passengers and 170 automobiles from Detroit to Cleveland, and excursion trips from Toledo. Sand Products Corp. maintained ownership until 1987. The North Shore Farming Co., Ltd. of Port Stanley, Ontario took ownership in 1987. The Empire Cruise Line, Ltd. of St. Thomas, Ontario took possession; however, a date of ownership transfer was not available. en_US
dc.relation.ispartof FR-2 en_US
dc.subject Great Lakes (North America) en_US
dc.title "Marine Star" (248329) en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.contributor.institution Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.contributor.repository Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2811.FR2.2.14.1.JPG 82.69Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record