Arizona (126551)

Show full item record


Title: Arizona (126551)
Author: Unknown
Description: The “Arizona,” first known as the “City of Racine,” was built in 1889 by the Burger Brothers (Burger and Burger) of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The wooden steamer was built for the Goodrich Transportation Co. and ran at night between Chicago and Milwaukee with sleeping accommodations for approximately two hundred and fifty travelers. In 1909, she was sent to Manitowoc to be rebuilt and renovated. It was also at that time she was renamed “Arizona.” She was used by the Goodrich Transportation Co. until 1926. She was leased for a short while to the Peninsula & Northern Navigation Co., but was sent to Manitowoc when the lease ended abruptly. She remained there until 1933 when she was sold to a construction firm to be used as a power plant during the construction of the Livingstone Channel in the Detroit River. Once the project was competed, she was laid up on the Maumee River, near Toledo, Ohio, and dismantled there in 1937.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/185742

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2821.FR2.2.25.1.JPG 364.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record