Chief Wawatam 209235 (Canada 805396)

Show full item record


Title: Chief Wawatam 209235 (Canada 805396)
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Chief Wawatam" was built at Toledo, Ohio by the Toledo Shipbuilding Company in 1911. From 1911 to 1977, she was owned by the Mackinac Transportation Company of St. Ignace, Michigan. From1977 - 1989, she operated as a car ferry for the state of Michigan. In 1989, she was converted to a barge. She was known as the "workhorse of the Straits." Equipped with four tracks, she was capable of handling 26 36-foot cars, 22 48-footers, 18 50-foot cars. She plied waters between Mackinaw City and St. Ignace for 71 years, carrying freight cars and passenger coaches. The picture identified as #3059.FR2.7.32.1 was taken July 25, 1949.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/186320

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
3059.FR2.7.32.1.JPG 103.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
3060.FR2.7.32.2.JPG 88.84Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record