Chief Wawatam 209235 (Canada 805396)

Show simple item record


dc.contributor.author Unknown
dc.coverage.spatial Great Lakes (Nort America) en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1911 - 1989 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2014-01-07T19:37:02Z
dc.date.available 2014-01-07T19:37:02Z
dc.date.issued 2014-01-07
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/186320
dc.description The "Chief Wawatam" was built at Toledo, Ohio by the Toledo Shipbuilding Company in 1911. From 1911 to 1977, she was owned by the Mackinac Transportation Company of St. Ignace, Michigan. From1977 - 1989, she operated as a car ferry for the state of Michigan. In 1989, she was converted to a barge. She was known as the "workhorse of the Straits." Equipped with four tracks, she was capable of handling 26 36-foot cars, 22 48-footers, 18 50-foot cars. She plied waters between Mackinaw City and St. Ignace for 71 years, carrying freight cars and passenger coaches. The picture identified as #3059.FR2.7.32.1 was taken July 25, 1949. en_US
dc.relation.ispartof FR-2 en_US
dc.subject Great Lakes (North America) en_US
dc.title Chief Wawatam 209235 (Canada 805396) en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.contributor.institution Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.contributor.repository Ruterford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
3059.FR2.7.32.1.JPG 103.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
3060.FR2.7.32.2.JPG 88.84Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record