"William J. Olcott" 207790

Show full item record


Title: "William J. Olcott" 207790
Author: unkown
Description: The "William J. Olcott" experienced a variety of owners. The ship was built in 1910 in Ecorse, Michigan for the Pittsburg Steamship Company. The United States Steel Corporation assumed ownership from 1952-1968. From 1960-1968 the vessel was located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but was not in use. To prepare for the 1970 work season, the ship was transferred to South Chicago, Illinois with the name changed to "George E. Seedhouse". Arriving at the Union Dock in Ashtabula, Ohio on July 25, 1970 for repairs, the vessel knocked over a hulett that caused extensive damage to the dock but slight damage to the port bow. The vessel was taken for repairs to the American Ship Building in Lorain, Ohio. The vessel was sold in October, 1975 to a Canadian company for scrapping but was rescued by the Bay Shipbuilding Incorporated, in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin to be utilized as a floating workshop. The vessel was officially scrapped at the Bay Shipbuilding dry dock in July 1993.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187624
Date: 1910

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5247-FR2-27-14-1014.jpg 644.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record