"Mystic Isle" 242004

Show full item record


Title: "Mystic Isle" 242004
Author: Unkown
Description: The "Mystic Isle" was the first all steel, all welded passenger boat of its kind on the Great Lakes. 103 feet long and 32 feet wide the "Mystic Isle" could carry 335 passengers and 20 automobiles. It was built in 1942 by the Burger Boat Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin for the Erie Isles Ferry Company. The passenger vessel made daily trips from Catawba Island to Put-in-Bay, Ohio. In winter the vessel was docked in Sandusky, Ohio at the Jackson Street Pier. In 1950, the "Mystic Isle" was sold to Fishers Island Ferry District of Connecticut where they retained ownership until 1978. In 1978-1979, the "Mystic Isle" was purchased by Blount Marine Corporation and then Donald Marshall 1979-1979 when it was rebuilt and changed from a passenger ship to a fishing craft. During the same year, 1979, the "Mystic Isle" was sold to Starboard Navigation Company Ltd. and was registered as a small freight hauler out of Panama. On one of the voyages to Miami, the "Mystic Isle" was seized by United States Customs officials for transporting marijuana into the country from the Bahamas. After the seizure the vessel was held in storage where it became in serious disrepair. Because the vessel would never be "sea worthy" again, it was decided by the Environmental Resource Management that she would make a good artificial reef. On May 30, 1986, the "Mystic Isle" found a new home as part of the Key Biscayne Artificial Reef Site.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187646
Date: 1942

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5145-FR2-25-24-2081.jpg 541.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
5144-FR2-25-24-1078.jpg 94.00Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record