"A. E. Nettleton" 205126

Show full item record


Title: "A. E. Nettleton" 205126
Author: Unknown
Description: In 1908, "A. E. Nettleton" was built by the Detroit Ship Building Company in Wyandotte, Michigan. The original owner, Wilkinson Transportation Company, was one of seven owners. In 1948, the Great Lakes Steamship Company reduced the tonnage and dimension. In 1971, the vessel was converted to a barge. While under charter to the Escanaba Towing Company in 1971-1972, the "A. E. Nettleton: broke a tow line while being moved by the tug "Olive L. Moore". The accident took place about seventeen miles west of Keewenaw Peninsula, Lake Superior. The barge developed a 15 degree list while being towed into Lily Pond, Keewenaw Waterway. On November 19, 1972, as the barge passed downbound through the Soo Locks, "A.E. Nettleton" struck the United States Steel Corporation dock below the Soo Locks. The vessel was removed from documentation in May/June of 1973. Tugs, "G. W. Rogers" and "Salvage Monarch" started the final journey with the "A. E. Nettleton" in tow. The vessel arrived on July 5, 1973 in Santander, Spain where is was scrapped by Recuperaciones Submarines. .
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187668
Date: 1908

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5159-FR2-25-38-1109.jpg 407.2Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
5160-FR2-25-38-2110.jpg 366.4Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record