"Niagara" 18714

Show full item record


Title: "Niagara" 18714
Author: Unkown
Description: The tug, "Niagara" was built in Detroit, Michigan in 1872 by builders, Campbell and Owen of Detroit, Michigan. S. R. Kirby was employed as the Master Carpenter. The tug was originally 130.00 feet long and 24. 58 feet wide. The gross tonnage was 276.87 tons. During her life on the Great Lakes, the tug had multiple owners. The tug was responsible for towing the ore barges; "Montcalm", "Montblac", "Montmorency", "Republic" and "Monticello" in Marquette, Michigan. On June 4, 1904, while sailing in Lake Superior during a heavy northeast gale, the "Niagara" was stranded on Knife Island and the hull was broken into two pieces. The eleven crew members were rescued by the tug, "Edna G." and no lives were lost.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187687
Date: 1872

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5172-FR2-26-1-1134.jpg 928.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record