"Niagara" 18714

Show simple item record


dc.contributor.author Unkown
dc.coverage.spatial Great Lakes (North America) en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1872-1904 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2018-02-22T15:39:43Z
dc.date.available 2018-02-22T15:39:43Z
dc.date.created 1872
dc.date.issued 2018-02-22
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187687
dc.description The tug, "Niagara" was built in Detroit, Michigan in 1872 by builders, Campbell and Owen of Detroit, Michigan. S. R. Kirby was employed as the Master Carpenter. The tug was originally 130.00 feet long and 24. 58 feet wide. The gross tonnage was 276.87 tons. During her life on the Great Lakes, the tug had multiple owners. The tug was responsible for towing the ore barges; "Montcalm", "Montblac", "Montmorency", "Republic" and "Monticello" in Marquette, Michigan. On June 4, 1904, while sailing in Lake Superior during a heavy northeast gale, the "Niagara" was stranded on Knife Island and the hull was broken into two pieces. The eleven crew members were rescued by the tug, "Edna G." and no lives were lost. en_US
dc.relation.ispartof FR-2 en_US
dc.subject Great Lakes (North America) en_US
dc.title "Niagara" 18714 en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.contributor.institution Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.contributor.repository Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5172-FR2-26-1-1134.jpg 928.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record