CROCUS

Show simple item record


dc.contributor.author Unknown en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Kelley's Island (Ohio) en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Erie County (Ohio) en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Erie, Lake en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1914 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2008-04-28T18:59:13Z
dc.date.available 2008-04-28T18:59:13Z
dc.date.created en_US
dc.date.issued 2008-04-28T18:59:13Z
dc.identifier.other 786h130 en_US
dc.identifier.other FR-2 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/1879
dc.description The lighthouse tender CROCUS is tied to the South Dock on Kelleys Island. Lighthouse tenders carried passengers and supplies to lighthouses. The CROCUS was built at Shooter's Island, New York, and served in the lighthouse service from 1904 to 1939. From 1939 to 1946, the CROCUS was part of the United States Coast Guard.She was steel-hulled and first assigned to duty at the 10th Lighthouse District and was based at Buffalo, New York. In 1932, she was converted to oil-fired boilers and transferred to Detroit. During WWII she was based in Toledo, Ohio, continuing her peacetime duties of servicing navigation aids. She aided in recovering the bodies of the crews of the tug "Admiral" and the tanker barge "Cleveco." The men lost their lives when the vessels foundered in a storm in December 1942. The "Admiral" was towing the fully-loaded tanker barge from Toledo to Cleveland, Ohio. The "Crocus" was decommissioned in 1948. Photograph #3287.FR2.11.1 shows the Crocus with her crew. It was probably taken in the 1930s. en_US
dc.format.extent 5" X 7" en_US
dc.language.iso English en_US
dc.relation.ispartof Charles E. Frohman Collection en_US
dc.rights Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.rights.uri http://www.rbhayes.org/hayes/photographs/display.asp?id=497&subj=photographs en_US
dc.subject Docks - Ohio - Kelleys Island en_US
dc.subject Erie, Lake en_US
dc.subject Lighthouses en_US
dc.subject United States Coast Guard en_US
dc.subject United States Lighthouse Service en_US
dc.title CROCUS en_US
dc.type Photographic print, black and white en_US
dc.publisher.digital Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.contributor.photographer Unknown en_US
dc.contributor.repository Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.repository.place Fremont, Ohio en_US
dc.repository.place Fremont, Ohio en_US
dc.repository.place Sandusky County, Ohio en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
786h130.jpg 2.969Mb JPEG image Thumbnail
3287.FR2.11.1.1.JPG 651.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record