The Lighthouse at Huron's West Pier

Show full item record


Title: The Lighthouse at Huron's West Pier
Author: Niebergall, Ernst
Description: The port of Huron lies not far from Rye Beach Park. As early as 1834, a lighthouse served commercial shipping at the port's west pier. During a fierce storm in the spring of 1854, the lighthouse was destroyed. Three years later, a new lighthouse was built. It was entirely enclosed in iron. It was not until the 1930's that a new lighthouse replaced it. By that date, the breakwater had been extended nearly a mile offshore.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/2053
Date: 1914

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
275.8.O.161A707.jpg 1.433Mb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record