Green Island Lighthouse

Show simple item record Cooke, Reverend Henry en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Gibraltar Island (Ohio) en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Ottawa County (Ohio) en_US
dc.coverage.spatial Erie, Lake en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1889 - 1912 en_US 2008-04-28T18:48:21Z 2008-04-28T18:48:21Z 1894 en_US 2008-04-28T18:48:21Z
dc.identifier.other 545.5.256.1 en_US
dc.identifier.other GA-71 en_US
dc.description Picnics on Green Island, located just west of South Bass Island, could include a climb to the top of the island's lighthouse and photographs to record the feat. A lighthouse was first erected on Green Island in 1854. On New Year's Eve 1864, the second story of the keeper's house caught fire. The entire structure was a loss. This square-towered, limestone lighthouse and attached, two-story keeper's house were constructed in July 1865. Although abandoned in 1926, it survived for nearly a century. In the 1960s, it met a similar fate as the first. The gutted limestone shell lies hidden in the island trees and bushes. Today, Green Island is owned by the state of Ohio and is used as a bird sanctuary. Unlike the Cooke family, today's visitors must secure permission from the state to roam the island. en_US
dc.relation.ispartof Charles E. Frohman Collection en_US
dc.rights Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.rights.uri en_US
dc.subject Lighthouses en_US
dc.subject Islands en_US
dc.subject Green Island (Ohio) en_US
dc.subject Ottawa County (Ohio) en_US
dc.subject Erie, Lake en_US
dc.subject Picnicking en_US
dc.title Green Island Lighthouse en_US
dc.type Photographic print; black and white en_US Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US
dc.contributor.photographer Cooke, Reverend Henry en_US
dc.contributor.repository Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en_US Fremont, Ohio en_US Fremont, Ohio en_US Sandusky County, Ohio en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
545.5.256.1.jpg 2.437Mb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record