Pittsburgh 208790

Show full item record

Why is this item not displaying? 
Title: Pittsburgh 208790
Author: Unknow
Description: Pictured is the "Bide-A-Wee," originally named "Pittsburgh.” The steel tug was built in 1911 by the American Ship Building Co. of Lorain, Ohio. She was owned by Booth Fisheries from 1911 until 1939. She was then sold to Milo B. Welch of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. While under their ownership, she was converted into an excursion boat and renamed “Bide-A-Wee.” Ownership transferred again in 1955 to U.S. Steel Corp. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The vessel was rebuilt again as a tender to aid other vessels in the construction of the Mackinac Bridge. In 1956, she renamed “Bridgebuilder X.” From 1958 until 1959 she was owned by Sterling Nickerson & Sons of Kingsley, MI. She was used as a freight boat for logging on South Fox Island, MI. On December 18, 2959, she foundered on Lake Michigan bound from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin to South Fox Island resulting in two lives were lost.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/186029

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2906.FR2.4.24.2.JPG 139.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record