William C. Moreland 214499 (Canada 316355)

Show full item record


Title: William C. Moreland 214499 (Canada 316355)
Author: Unknown
Description: This propeller was built in 1910 by American Ship Building Company, Lorain, Ohio. She was owned by Interstate Steamship Company until 1912, when she was acquired by Reid Wrecking Company. She was then sold to American Interlake Line in 1915, Pioneer Steamship Company in 1920, Redwood Enterprises, Canada, in 1962, and International Cruising Company in 1968. In 1916, she became "Sir Trevor Dawson," in 1920, she became "Charles L. Hutchinson," in 1951, she became "Gene C. Hutchinson," and in 1962, she became "Parkdale." As "William C. Moreland," she was stranded on Sawtooth Reef, off Eagle Harbor, Michigan, Lake Superior, October 18, 1910. She broke into three parts and was abandoned as constructive total loss. In the fall of 1911, 292 feet of after end was salvaged by Reid Wrecking Company, and towed to Ecorse, Michigan in September of 1912. Because of a recession, she sat untended for three years, when she was sold to a subsidiary of Canada Steamship Lines, towed to Superior, Wisconsin, and joined to a new forward end. As "Charles L. Hutchinson," she was stranded on Gull Island Reef, off Keweenaw Point, Lake Superior, October 31, 1925. She was sold to Spanish shipbreakers, through Maine Salvage Port Colborne, Ontario, in spring of 1970. She arrived at Cartegena, Spain, for scrapping on June 6, 1970.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187464

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5121-FR2-25-5-1032.jpg 179.4Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
5122-FR2-25-5-2035.jpg 622.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record